Small Frames for Small Photos

In a previous post I made a series of contact prints from a 6x17 negative from my Fuji G617 camera. I chose this format to test out some Lodima paper I bought a few years ago and to try printing and developing it in the traditional developer Amidol.

The details of this experience are outlined in the post linked here if you are interested. The result is that I had a couple of  good small prints which are little gems compared to my more recent project; 9 inches wide compare to over 4 feet wide.

The project was in itself pretty simple. First I trimmed the photos. I had two so I tried two different approaches. The first was to trim to the wide borders I planned in the photo paper itself. The second I trimmed to the very edge of the image.

In the next step I mounted both images on white foam-core board using 3M PMA. In both cases the foam core board was trimmed to the same dimensions. To mount the first photo the foam-core and photo were the same dimensions. For the second I mounted the closely trimmed photo in the same location on the foam-core. The result is that each looks the same except in the first case the photo paper makes up the white border while in the second the foam-core makes up the white border. The foam-core is whiter than the photo paper and the thickness of the photo paper is apparent in the second example. I somewhat prefer the first example where the entire area is photo paper.

Next I built the two small frames. I used some small trim strip from the local hardware/DIY store. It is called hockey owing to the shape of its profile. Iti is 8mm thick by 26mm wide. (I have a router so in the future I may make my own.)
Hockey Trim Profile
I cut the hockey trim using a quickly made mitre box for my handsaw so I could make accurate 45 degree cuts. I measured and cut the four sides then glued them together using masking tape as a clamp. An hour later they were ready to sand and paint. An hour after that I could slip the mounted photos into the back of the frame. Below is how one looks in my office at work. A pound coin is shown for reference.



Comments