Sand Creek Lith Prints: Lith Prints from Digital Images

This is a series of prints made from my 'Lower Sand Creek in Winter' project that I worked on last winter. The images were taken on my Fuji GFX 50s ii digital camera using a Fuji Acros film simulation. I also restricted the cropping to Xpan (65:24) aspect ratio and I used a Tokina 70-210mm f4 zoom lens on an Olympus mount for their 35mm cameras.

I further twisted the methodology by making film negatives from these digital images. (A series of blog posts here...) I made some conventional prints in the darkroom. Now I am making some lith prints from these negatives. Some of the images work better than others as is typical with lith printing. 

For this project I broke out an old batch of obscure paper from Agfa called Rapidoprint. This paper was used in newsrooms to make fast prints on a special machine. It is a single weight paper and may have incorporated developer. I first used this paper in 2015 and though very fogged it did lith reasonably well. I am using Moersch EasyLith heated in a microwave with the tray floated on a hot water bath. 

I setup the easel under my Meopta 6 6x6 enlarger for 9 1/2" by 3 1/2" prints on 8"x4" paper. The Rapidoprint paper I have is 10"x12" so I can cut 3 strips from one sheet. Some of the prints are done on Oriental Seagull paper which is a favorite of mine where I cut 2 strips from one 8"x10" sheet of paper. 

Aspens Oriental Seagull

Aspen Closeup #1

Aspen Closeup #1
This one without infectious development.

Ice on Sand Creek #1
Shadows on Sand Creek #2
Weeds #2


Comments