Conclave for the Elders: A Vision with Lith Printing

After my initial conventional print success, I wanted to see how the image would translate with a lith print. I took the 8x10 image that was exposed at f32 down to f16 for the requisite overexposure. I know if I can hit an Ev (ISO 100) on the easel in some mid tones that is a good start at 32 second exposure for a higher contrast lith print. This came at f16 in this case. I made two exposed prints at this exposure then opened up one more stop to f11 at 32 seconds. I did not burn the top of the images, though I should have. 

Normally these images end up taking a darker look but, in this case, they were warmer toned versions of the original prints. 

I mixed Moersch EasyLith as follows

  • 20ml Part A
  • 20ml Part B
  • 700ml old Brown
  • 300ml water
  • Heat in microwave for 3 minutes. 

When I stuck the first print in the hot developer brought up an image in one minute and I had to snatch it at around 3 minutes. It went black fast! Subsequent images slowed down but none were outside a 5-minute snatch point as the developer cooled. 

I then archivally washed them. The results are good and may encourage me to do more. I am inclined to return to burn the upper part of the print better to balance the development. I also may try some toning in particular iron blue toning. 

scan019-f16 32 sec


scan016-f16  32 sec

scan016-f11 32 sec


Comments