Notecards Revisited

This past summer I wrote twice about making notecards

Making Notecards in the Darkroom

Paper Scraps: More Notecards!

In both cases I used scrap photopaper and made them in the darkroom. They have proved popular by recipients. I was contemplating making more and wanted to look at a less labor-intensive method using Giclee or ink-jet printing. The photopaper versions have been made on Ilford Art 300 paper which is a heavy 300 GSM 100% cotton rag paper from Hahnemuhle the German art paper maker. It has a pleasant coarse texture like water color paper.

In the past I have made C-prints on Fuji papers but never ink-jet. Peak Imaging my go-to film developer and print maker does make ink-jet prints and exclusively on Hahnemuhle ink-jet papers. So I decided to dip my toe into this world. I ended up selecting 4 different papers to see what they were like. 

  • Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308gsm
  • Hahnemuhle William Turner 310gsm
  • Hahnemuhle Bamboo 290gsm
  • Hahnemuhle Photo Lustre 260gsm
They are probably all fine papers for printing photographs but in this application I was concerned with how it feels and how easy the paper would be able to write on. The smallest paper size Peak Imaging offers is 8x12” which fit my purpose perfectly. The cost is about £4.90 for each sheet. My first photo paper versions were 4x4 folded from 4x8 and 4x6 folded from 8x6. These fit perfectly with 2 4x6 cards or 3 4x4 cards to a sheet.

I went to photoshop and made two different versions of the cards and then produced a JPEG file. Since each was going to be printed on a different type of paper I added text to each sheet indicating each paper type so I could know which was which when I got it back. I also made small marks to indicate where to cut the paper to separate the cards. 

Example Photoshop Image for Final Card Print (4"x4")
(Hahnemuhle William Turner 310gsm)

I placed the order and sent off the the files and the prints came back about a week later.  The results were more or less what I expected for this part of the exercise. The images were quite dark so that would need some adjustment. 

My primary interest was to assess the paper textures and the answers really boil down to two choices. The easiest to eliminate was the Photo Lustre as it is a very slick glossy paper which feels like plastic and is difficult to write on as a result. The William Turner which is a 100% cotton rag paper was much coarser than the Art 300 paper and for me too coarse in terms of how it feels though it is easy to write on. That leaves the Photo Rag and Bamboo as good choices. They both feel like paper and the difference is the bamboo is slightly warm while the Photo Rag is a more neutral white.

Below I have tried to give an impression of the different paper stocks, color and texture. I have labeled each according to the paper type. It is difficult to get the color correct. This was taken with a compact fluorescent light with a warm color temperature. I set the white point balance for each image on the Photo Rag paper as it seems most neutral white. 

All the papers were easy to write on except the Photo Lustre that does not work with pencil. 


Notecards 4x4 (left) 4x6 (all others)


Paper from another angle


Grazing light to show texture


Writing tests pencil(HB2) and ballpoint pen



The next experiment will be to vary the image brightness to dial that in a little better.  






Comments