Mathematical Trees Part 2: Another interpretation from the same negative

In my previous two posts I set about printing a negative I took recently. I call it Mathematical Trees as there is a kind of geometric balance to the image. It has become for me an exciting image. I think in part because it seems to be a milepost in my evolution as a photographer (and also perhaps because I have not felt creatively motivated this past month).  It is a milestone of sorts because I was not out looking for a specific image but it was immediately apparent when I saw the scene that it was a worth capturing. This does not often happen to me but it does happen with increasing frequency. I could capture the photo and composition and then realize it as a print in the darkroom.

In the last post a few printing mistakes led me to consider alternative interpretations and so I will explore one of those visions here. The earlier version was a stark almost graphic take on the image. In this one I want to impart some atmosphere by darkening the sky. Hopefully this can successfully create a distinct new image. As a reminder here is where I got to last time. 

Graphic version
I want to take this same image and add some sky drama. Yesterday I made a #00 filter tests strip that would guide my plans. I had to open the aperture 2 stops to get to these shades of gray. 

Sky Test strip f16 #00 filter 8" to 64" in half stop intervals

The base for all these versions is the one from yesterday that is f32 #5 filter for 27 seconds and dodge each copse left and right sides 5 seconds. I first set about burning the area above the trees. This turned out to be simple minded...

Simple Burn of Sky

The change in mood is apparent so the potential is there, however, some elements are missing. First the dark part of the sky is too uniform and isn't quite natural. Part of the unnaturalness is that the lighter part of the sky remains bright white and I need to impart some lighter tones there. 

I find one is very aware of one's own burning but it should strive to look natural. I think the darkness should wrap the left side of the nearer tree more. There is also the risk the image is unbalanced with the white foreground. I think perhaps some vignette in those lower corners. So I work up the following burn plan. Never mind the cryptic notes they are layers of attempts to grapple with the range and location of tones. 

First Complex Burn Plan

  Here is what I got with this. 

 

First Complex Burn Result

Yeech! But let's break it down. First the positives! Adding tone to the white sky helped. The variation in tone of the dark sky is an improvement as well. The lower corner vignettes are terrible what was I thinking!!! Finally the shape of the burn misses the trees in an obvious and unnatural way. Ok try again. I made a new plan. These plans are complex to orchestrate but with some thought I could build most of it as 'layers' of burns. 

 
Next Burn Plan

The plan starts in the middle just above the horizon with an 11 second exposure overall. This is the base sky exposure. Then I cut a piece of cardboard to create the curve over the trees and copse. This I wanted much darker so this would add burn of 37 seconds (48 seconds total for that part of the sky). I would try and vary the edge so the dark sky would encroach on the tree tops. To give more variation I would dodge the upper section for about 22 seconds so that are would be about 48-22=36 seconds. Then I would burn each corner darker still at +19 seconds for a total of 48+19=67 seconds. Finally I would make two versions one with linear gradient at the bottom and one without.  I also decided to include more foreground from the original to accommodate this. I got here with this.

Next burn plan first print. 
(Vertical bands in sky due to scanning of unflat paper.)

Now were are getting somewhere. I then made two versions based on this one with the foreground gradient and the other without. I cannot decide which one is better frankly. I am very pleased with each one. What I probably needed to do as a final step is to reduce the hard filter exposure. 

Final Print white foreground version. 

Final Print gradient foreground version. 



These I archivally washed and flattened properly. I now have three versions I like and have the problem of which one to frame and hang on the wall.

 

  

Comments