Whernside Prints

Recently I have been focused on getting back into the darkroom and making prints again. I have also been improving my darkroom printing process by reviewing the process and adopting more techniques used by master printers.

As a part of this I have made a series of three prints from a trip to Whernside in the Yorkshire Dales last October. Whernside is the tallest point in Yorkshire and part of the Three Peaks. It is a good strenuous walk to the top with wonderful views. When I visited I came away with 3 printable photos taken with my Fuji GSW 690 medium format camera. I used Ilford FP4+ which is my go-to black and white film.

The three images featured are...
  • Ribblehead Distant
  • Whernside Greensell Tarn
  • Force Gill
The day was cold, blustery and spitting snow at the top. Challenging conditions to be sure. The light was shifting with the clouds and this lead to some of the drama present in the photos. The process of printing these photos has been detailed in previous blog posts.

Ribblehead Distant

Below is a final print I call Ribblehead Distant.  Most photos of this landmark are taken right next to the Ribblehead Viaduct itself. It is an iconic landmark and at the start of the day's walk is impressive to stand underneath. I did take a photo of the viaduct from the ground but I wanted to do something different with the subject. Not sure what that would be at the time but...

Hours later as I started to descend from the top of Whernside; I was tired and sore. I looked out across the valley and suddenly beheld the late afternoon sun picking out the viaduct. I hurriedly metered, focussed, and framed the shot. I think what the print captures for me is how this monumental Victorian engineering marvel is dwarfed in the vast landscape.  The light almost gives it a sacred quality and in some sense allows god to enter the work of man and nature.

Whernside Greensell Tarn

This is a small lake, locally called a tarn, at the base of Whernside. This was again a challenging print to make due the range of light and shadow.

Force Gill

This is a stream on the side of Whernside on the hike up the mountain. This is actually Low Force. Force or Foss is a local term for waterfall. Again I wanted to place the waterfall in the larger context of the landscape and use it to give scale to the surroundings. Typically you see waterfalls as the major subject of a photograph. I however wanted the mountain and terrain to figure more into the image.



Comments