Windy Day at Angel's Rest

I went back out to the Columbia River Gorge for another hike. Not having any particular place in mind I took the first exit to old highway 30 and looked for a hike I hadn't done before. Immediately I came upon Angel's Rest and favorite of my friend Shyam at work. He and his family hike extensively and Redington and I met them in the gorge once a few years ago.

This Google Earth shows you where the hike takes you on top of the gorge. (Click photo to enlarge)


Angel's Rest from Google Earth

The drive out was one of the windiest in memory. You can see in the next photo the whitecaps in the Columbia river. The wind was whipping water off the wave tops where they would drift as gossamer rainbows in the afternoon sun.



The hike is about 2 1/2 miles and winds up through the trees. At first the wind wasn't too apparent.







Near the top though the gusts were reaching 40 miles per hour. Dead trees were swaying from side to side leaving me wondering if they would snap. The wind created an sense of danger that heightened the senses.

At the top the trail wound on the lee side of a rock ridge. I had to wait until the gusts stopped before crossing gaps in the rocks for fear of being blown over. I hunkered down to take this picture as the wind howled overhead. The view is looking downstream towards Portland. The air is hazed from the windborne dust. You can make out Sand Island and see the smoky wisps of spray on the surface of the Columbia.

Comments