Best of 2020

Best of 2020
Click Above to go Straight to the Photos on Flickr!


The last couple of years I have done what a lot of people do and try and select a limited number of 'best' photos of the year. These are of course by my own judgment though I do factor in likes from Flickr users in my decision. 

This year I was very prolific in terms photos taken at about 375 (compared to about 50 last year!). I also have to say the yield of good photos was better. I attribute the increase in numbers mostly to my retirement from full time work this year. Covid-19 has limited travel but also provided a basis for more focus. The number of photos I am happy with went way up I think primarily because I chose to focus on intimate woodland as as subject and my further focus on three local woodlands. I have also been steadily improving technique and looking critically at the results. I ended up with perhaps 30 candidates on my initial long list. 

The year divided almost in half between black and white the first part of the year and color in the back half. I spent a great deal of time printing work during the summer in my darkroom. This was in part due to my ability to capture more images earlier that reflect an aesthetic I am developing in intimate woodland work. 

The color work involved mostly autumnal images as I went on an intense campaign of early mornings form September until December. 

Normally I have tried to keep a very short list of about 5 photos. It will be harder this year. The work seems to divide evenly between black and white and color so I will divide the list in half as well. I have a very difficult time deciding between the color and black and white images as the criteria are so different. This is a roundabout way to justify 5 photos from each genre!

Color

The color photos are dominated by fall photos and from one very good day in particular. 

Early Fall Sunrise Holme Fen

This photo above was one of my first forays into fall color. It was almost accidental in that I was heading home and saw this scene and half-heartedly set up for it. When it came back it opened my eyes to what was possible. The sun peering through the top of the dead tree trunk was entirely accidental but a happy accident! This was taken on Kodak Ektar on my Intrepid 4x5 camera. 

Last of Green (RAW+2020-11-18-0008 sharp small)

This photo taken later in the fall caught my eye as by now anything green really stood out. I made two versions of which this is my favorite as I intended to keep the background very soft. Shot at f11 it is outside the optimal focus range of this lens to keep the background soft yet it still retains the delicate jeweled spider webs. This was shot on Fuji Astia using my Intrepid 4x5 camera.

RAW+2020-11-18-0005 sharp crop small

This one achieves a dynamic tension with the leaning tree and contrasting emptiness in the upper left corner. The muted colors give it a feeling like a painting. This was taken on Fuji Velvia 50 on a 6x9 (cropped further) filmback on the Intrepid 4x5 camera. 

RAW+2020-11-18-0003 sharp small

This photo should lead one to look at the two trees disappearing in the fog. A rich contrasting palette of colors in the foreground offset the soft muted colors in the leaves. Shot on Fuji Astia with my Intrepid 4x5 camera.

RAW+2020-10-27-0005 cp sharp small

This image of field maple leaves was captured in Monk's Wood. Regular breezes made it a challenge but the early morning light cooperated. Taken on Fuji Astia with the Intrepid 4x5 camera.

Black and White


2020-06-13-0014jpg

Easily my favorite. Taken with my Mamiya 645 Pro on Ilford HP5+ I was captivated by the birch bark as I walked by in Woodwalton Fen. The subtle levels of shading give it a feel like a topographical map. It prints very nicely in the darkroom as well. 

2020-09-10-0009

Another easy favorite. I saw this tree from a distance at Holme Fen. It was early spring so the leaves were a light green color and so I kept them at a lighter high key tonal value. Captured on Ilford HP5+ pushed to ISO 800 with my Mamiya 645 Pro, the slight grain complements the textures of the image. 

2020-08-25-0008

This willow in Woodwalton Fen couldn't help but be noticed bent over in an arc with the suckers radiating upwards. Mamiya 645 Pro Ilford HP5+ pushed to ISO 800. 

2020-06-13-0002jpg

This tripartite view of a fern surprised me with the delicacy of the tonal range. A small challenge to print in the darkroom it makes a rewarding image. Mamiya 645 Ilford HP5+.

RAW+2020-03-20-0008jpg

A stream in North Wales with a sense of drama and texture. One of the last photos taken on my Fuji GSW690 before I broke it in a fall, it was taken with Ilford FP4+ ISO 80 with 1 second exposure. 

Comments