Monk’s Wood Visit 2: Color Update + Riddy Wood

Update: 

I published this originally on April 12 shortly after I made this visit. As I said at the time I would update with the color photos once I finished the roll and Peak Imaging re-opened for me to get them processed. Unfortunately this post languished unfinished until now many months later making it very out of synch with the fall season. The warmth and color of those early spring days seem so long ago.

Subsequently I went to explore a nearby wood called Riddy Wood. There are no trails here though these is strong evidence someone lived here a while and practiced some woodcraft. That part of the wood has an odd feel as I wasn't sure if it was still occupied or not. There was evidence of a rudimentary shelter and various projects to plant tree, a latrine and equipment left to rust. The bluebells were at their peak and carpeted the forest floor. So I got a few shots of these mixed with the Monk's Wood photos from earlier. 

To retain some continuity I have appended the color photos from both locations to the end. 

Monk's Wood Black and White 

A couple of days past my dry run I went again. The day dawned partly cloudy and somewhat cooler than the previous visit. I had a pleasant bike ride out and again locked my bike away. Thus time I brought a roll of Ilford HP5+ and Kodak Portra 400. I chose faster film as I would be shooting handheld. I neglected to bring a second film back which I kicked myself for when I arrived.

This left me with a quandary of choosing to shoot color or black and white. I opted for black and white first in part because I would not have to wait indefinitely for results. Also the light was hazy and diffuse in the morning. The bluebells were emerging but I remained determined with my decision for now, if the light got better the color may be more useful later.

I also brought along my 150 mm lens (my longest lens) as well as the 80 mm. I fitted the 150 mm and resolved to use it alone. I felt this would inform a different look and I was right. I actually enjoyed the 150 mm lens and found the single lens challenging in an energizing sense.

I traced a different route mostly around the peripheral of the wood. I started heading towards where the road swings close to the wood as I could see bluebells when I rode by.

What follows are a series of black and white photos all Ilford HP5+ with the 150 mm lens. I did take some color on the Portra 400 however I did not shoot an entire roll and will hold back processing until my favorite lab is open. I will update here when I have something scanned.

Some Maples 



Monk's Wood is relatively diverse as it sits on a slope and runs down to some flat ground where it gets wet and boggy in the winter. There are some hay meadows as well. The wood is a remnant of ancient woodland but has been extensively used by man over the centuries for wood cutting,  grazing, hunting, and agriculture. It has wide roads cut through it and extensive drainage ditches dug throughout.

I feel compelled to not just photograph the more aesthetic aspects of the forest where visual complexity is reduced but to capture some of the dense wildness of it as well.


I am fascinated how some oaks becomes so twisted and tortured looking alongside other very straight trees. They look straight out of some scary fairy-tail.
Tortured Oak
The following is perhaps my favorite of this group of photos. The even texture of the maple and the perspective given by the 150mm lens suggests there are brothers of the forest.
The Brothers

Forest's Edge



Thicket
Birches are rare in this forest. I like the delicate emergence of new leaves here.
New Growth on Birches

Color Update: Monk's Wood and Riddy Wood

These are the color updates. My apologies but I got color drunk on the bluebells and was experimenting with different ways to capture them. 

RAW+2020-06-24-0012 cp
Monk's Wood


RAW+2020-06-24-0001 cp
Riddy Wood

RAW+2020-06-24-0003 cp
Monk's Wood Pasture Silver Birch

RAW+2020-06-24-0004 cp
Monk's Wood

RAW+2020-06-24-0005 cp
Monk's Wood

RAW+2020-06-24-0006 cp
Monk's Wood

RAW+2020-06-24-0007 cp
Riddy Wood

RAW+2020-06-24-0008 cp
Riddy Wood



Comments