Another Enlarger Enhancement

I have been steadily modifying my Meopta enlarger that I bought for £15.00. I started with raising it up to allow larger prints. Then I upgraded the lenses as I saw I was losing sharpness on the edges. Then because I wanted to stop down the lens for better sharpness I changed my 75 watt bulb to 150 watt.

More light helped immensely with exposure times with stopped down large prints. On the other hand  smaller prints suddenly became challenging as I could not stop the lens down enough and I kept running into sub-8-second exposures even at f22. Though I have automated my enlarger and that makes the short exposures accurate, there is not much time for dodging and burning.

Finally I decided I could improve the setup using the now unused filter drawer. Since my automation project uses below-the-lens filters the filter drawer is unused. I bought a pair of single stop ND filters (Cokin P Series P152 0.3 ND2 - 1 Stop Neutral Density Filter) and carefully cut them to fit the filter drawer. These filters are very fragile and though plastic are easy to crack like glass. I used a sharp utility knife and scored the cut cut repeatedly from both sides until I was sure I could break it free. I tried a small dovetail saw but nearly destroyed the filter.


I used 2 1-stop filters as the 150 watt lamp made a 2.5 stop increase in light. 2 filters I reasoned would give me more latitude in adjusting the exposure time. I stack the two filters when I need all the attenuation. So far the system works well.







Comments