ORWO Revisited

In a previous post I tested some ORWO paper from East Germany that was very old. I got 3 packets of different sizes all unopened totaling 225 sheets. My first attempt to use it then disappointed me greatly and I thought it would be relegated to making lumen prints such was the apparent fogging and poor contrast.

I have been formulating plans as I read more about papers and chemistry to try and resurrect this paper. So, this evening I endeavored to try my new Eco4812 developer at a 1+10 concentration and try different development times as Wolfgang Moersch says this can improve contrast. I also mixed a 1% solution of Benzotriazole in alcohol which I would then add in successive amounts as I ran experiments to control the fogging.

As a reminder here was a print as developed in Universal PQ.
Universal PQ developed ORWO
Note the border is gray and the low contrast. So, with the new experiments I started with a couple of test strips.
f8 2 minute dev Eco4812
f8 1-1/2 minute dev Eco4812
This was really exciting as the paper was snow white in the borders. This meant the Eco4812 saved the paper and it was fine. (The blacks are also very inky.) It is rated 'normal contrast' and exhibited really good contrast on a contrasty negative. The shortened development time shifted the exposure about 1/2 to 1 stop as well. Next followed a series of prints that I had not planned. Indeed, I never got to try the benzotriazole!

f8 8 sec 2 min dev

f8 8 sec 3 min dev

f8 11 sec 2 min dev
f8 16 sec 2 min dev

f8 16 sec 3 min dev
I think the second from the end 16 sec at 2 min dev is the best. Wolfgang is my hero for the day. Rescuing the paper and giving such a versatile and economical product. Thanks Herr Moersch!

Comments