Ilford PFP Developer and Kodak Velox

When I purchased a lot of old photo paper I also received some packets of Ilford PFP developer. The website Photomemorabilia has reference to a catalog from 1953 and this seems to jive with other Ilford packaging of that age. The packet is shown below.
Ilford PFP Packet

PFP is a developer based on Phenidone as a substitute for Metol. The enclosed instructions are reproduced below. The last page of the instructions has a 57 in  the corner. This might indicate 1957.
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4
I decided to test the developer with some Velox as it was from a similar time.
Velox Paper
It is small paper which fits a small Bakelite contact printer I got with the developer. I only used the contact printer to hold the paper and used the 6x6 red mask to frame it. I aimed my enlarger at the paper as I did not wish in separate the individual negatives to fit them in the printer. As individual negatives they are impossible to put back into sleeves. The prints are not as clear as a result.

I mixed the developer per the instructions. As I have found with these old pouches the grains of chemical often make small holes in the plastic and this allows some moisture. I had to wash a lot of chemical from the satchels because of this. I wasn't sure then if the chemicals had not oxidized. It is a two piece mixture which does allow for long shelf life. I used it at full strength. A test strip follows. The developer worked well. A bit warmer than the same paper in Universal PQ, The image developed rapidly.
Round Church test strip f4.5 
 I followed my normal develop routine

  • PFP Developer 2 minutes
  • Stop Bath 20 seconds
  • Ilford Rapid fix 2 minutes

 The results below reveal the developer still works well.
Round Church f4.5 8 sec

Reflection

Castle Pub Cambridge

St Johns f4.5 16 seconds




Comments