Redington visit Clappers Walk

In May Redington came out for a week to the UK to visit with friends and mother and I. I took a day off work and we visited the Sharpenhoe Clappers in Bedfordshire. This is an area I had seen many times before when I used to carpool with Dave Hutton the VP of Sales. The route to his house took us right by them. Redington and I started out early at the Harlington train station and walked the route prescribed by an online guide parallel to the railway line. Soon we had a view to our destination.




The Clappers is that heavily tree covered ridge top. I don't think anyone knows why it is called that. The fields were of wheat and the rape was in bloom. It is the nature of English countryside to appear much larger than it is. It has a way of using compact features and folds to fool me into thinking the distances are much greater.





Our track would take us up to this hillside soon. Here is Redington. It still looks early in the morning for him.




Soon we climb the ridge and move away from the rail line and rubbish tip to gain this view.




And again this view back the area where Redington's photo was taken.



We had just come out of lambing season.




And soon found ourselves in some woods. This was a very beautiful path we followed a long.


It was really nice to get out and stretch my legs (something I don't do enough of) and to have a chance to talk with Redington about life. We spoke a lot about his decision to join the Army.

As we approached the Clappers I took this panorama.


The area of The Clappers was donated by a man in memory of his brothers that died in the Great War.



And a final photo before we headed back to the car.





Comments