Pimping my Intrepid MK3-- A Darkcloth Attachment

The Intrepid large format camera is a capable but basic camera. As I have used it the low cost and basic build has encouraged me to make modifications. This started when I got my SINAR Zoom 6x12 film holder. It did not fit well so I made some modifications to make the fit much better. (These modifications are detailed at the end of the post linked above.) 

Recently I bought a 'proper' darkcloth' having gotten by with bulldog clips and a microfiber towel. I wanted something waterproof and with some elastic. I had balked before at the cost but found one online for about £15.  Turns out this was a little too good to be true. First the Velcro closure was the wrong way around and so wouldn't hold the ends together. Second the elastic was too tight for my Intrepid. 

I solved the first problem with some iron-on Velcro strips I attached to the ends of the dark cloth. I still however struggled with how tight the elastic section was around my camera, the Velcro often could not hold against the strain. I solved this problem by gluing Velcro strips to the camera base. 

Bottom of base showing Velcro strips

On my original MK3 base it was sufficient to iron these strips onto the plywood at the bottom of the base. When I upgraded the base I found the iron could not heat the aluminum enough to adhere the glue effectively. I resorted to using acrylic glue for the new base. The system works well. It gives extra space to relax the elastic and provides a firm attachment point. 

With attached darkcloth


Comments