More Physical Split Printing and Toning Results

I moved on from my previous post to try some more ideas I developed as I worked on those prints. I decided to try and make a higher contrast film and a toned film.

New Film Versions

  1. Higher Contrast: Expose f8 11 seconds full development 3 mins Eco 4812 Bleach 1+10 for 5 minutes. Fix 1 minute. 
  2. Selenium toned: Expose f8 11 seconds develop 45 seconds. Selenium 1+3 tone about 1 minute for purple tone. 
The trouble I soon find is that I have a lot of combinations that are possible now as I can mix and match papers and films. Below is the comparison matrix. The bottom row is the same from the previous blog post. A map is offered below to help describe what the variations are. 
Summary Table

Legend for Image Matrix

Thoughts on the Results

A couple of things come out from this. 1) The higher contrast film allows more of the underlying image tone through. 2) A toned mask tends to dominate the overall color. This is in part because the negative is high contrast and as such the mask and paper images probably don't differentiate enough. (That is the film density covers too much of the paper image.) Also the toned film example could probably do with being higher contrast. That means taking the conventionally developer image and bleaching and fixing it to increase contrast before toning it. 

I also looked at the high contrast film on my original paper test sheet. I think that I could increase the exposure for the paper by half or a stop or a stop and a half. It depends on how much tone one wants in the highlights. These look like they could work. It might also help with the toned paper dominating the overall image color if that is desired. Sepia toning tends to reduce the brightness of any tone as well. This may be the basis for further explorations. 

Update: 
I carried on with some more experiments with good result in a subsequent post here.  

Comments