Framing Some Recent Prints: A Good Day

My wife says she likes watching me working in the shop as I seem so focused and relaxed. She is right. Yesterday was a good day like that. A morning bike ride, then breakfast and out to the shop for a shortish project I dreamed up the day before. Some of my recent square prints were begging for frames and to be displayed. 



So I found myself out in the shop most of the day fashioning them from scraps of pine I had laying about. I used nothing but hand tools so the work was quiet and contemplative. Japanese hand saws, a rabbet plane, smoothing plane, and a chisel were all I really needed. The work was small and delicate as the frames were small and I wanted them to be light and simple.  I had Jackson Browne's Solo Acoustic Vol 1 and 2 playing. An excellent album I only recently discovered. I grew up with his music but never owned an album of his. None of the songs were ones I was familiar with but that didn't matter. His rapport with the audience makes it all the more interesting to listen to. 

I finished the first frame this morning and while the paint on the second dries I thought I would start the process of sharing. 

Update: I liked making the first two so much I made 2 more. One is for a larger 8x12 print and the other much smaller for one of my 4x4 note card images. Photos at the end. 

 The prints were ones I printed square as 6x6" images on 8x8" sheets of Ilford MG Art300 paper. (They are described here...) 

I started with a strip of relatively clear pine about 12x34mm. I needed about a meter (40 inches). The pine was too wide for these frames so I made a small rabbet on each long edge before ripping it in half along its length.  This would give me material for 2 frames. I then cleaned up the saw line with a smoothing plane before cutting the frame pieces using a homemade mitre-box.

I glued the mitred edges to form the frame. Once dry I filled and sanded them. I then cut slots in the corners and sawed thin strips of oak to glue into the slots to strengthen the frame and provide a small decorative feature. Once these were trimmed and sanded I masked this outside edge and painted the front of the frame black leaving the edges as 'brightwork' or natural wood finish. 

I mounted the photo using 3M PMA onto some Bristol board (thick cardboard). I planned to not use glazing as I wanted the texture of the MG Art 300 paper to be apparent. 

I wanted to be able to change the photos out of the frame so I made a somewhat complicated mechanism on the back to hold the mounted photo in place. I glued corner tabs made from scrap photo paper into the bottom two corners of the back of the frame. I then made a retainer from thin oak that I screwed to the top of the frame. This piece swings away to allow the photo to inserted or removed. On the back of the mount board I added small spacers to make up the difference between the rabbet depth and the thickness of the photo plus mount board. 

Detail of 'brightwork' on the edge. 

Back of frame showing corner tabs (right) and retainer (left)

  
Back of photo mountboard with spacers


Photo in place with retainer closed
On Display

Second frame and print
8x12 Print

4x4 Print


All on display


Comments