Print Flattening Update: Completed System and Further Notes

(This is a reprint of an update I appended to the original post.)

The new magnets have arrived and I have been able to complete the flattening fixture. It continues to perform as expected. 

The new magnets are solid 10mm x 3mm discs and are in fact stronger. I have modified the wooden strips the magnets are mounted in to include a 4mm through-hole behind each magnet. This allows me to push the magnets out again if needed or they become skewed. 

In the end I found the magnets press-fit tightly enough in the 10mm holes I drilled that no adhesive was needed. I used a wood block and mallet to gently tap the magnets flush with the wood surface. The through-holes allowed me to adjust his if I tapped them in too deeply or they became skewed.

The next step was to cover the magnets in polyurethane varnish.  I noticed with my first test print that the magnets had left a stain (see below). This is despite the claim they are corrosion resistant. Ideally the magnets never touch the paper but that is difficult to guarantee hence the precaution. 

Gray stains on the edge of the paper due to the magnets corroding. 
(Yellow stain due to wood.) 

A couple of the blocks I have already added the sandpaper strips. All blocks I made from 18mm thick plywood scraps as the aesthetics are not important to me. The variety of lengths allow me to adapt to most paper sizes. 

The panoply of different clamping blocks.
Here are the new blocks in use. 
New blocks in use.
(Note 4mm holes to allow magnets to be pushed out or adjusted.)

New flattened test print



Comments