Mathematical Trees Study 2: Lith vs Conventional Print

I printed a couple of versions of this photo from the previous post using conventional multi-grade paper and developer. My aim was two-fold. 1) produce a conventional print, 2) provide a means of showing the increased contrast that lith printing can provide. 

In previous versions of this series those conventional prints were printed to attempt to hold the fog quite white. This resulted in very faint prints with a unique aesthetic. In these I wanted to mimic the same level of tone as the lith prints I made. I made two prints as a result. The first a mix of hard and soft filtration to control for maximum contrast and to bring the fog tone to a comparable level as the lith versions.

Ilford FB Classic #5 38 sec # 00 11 sec with 11 sec burn left to right 


The second I made with the hard filter only. This is to show the maximum contrast. 

Ilford FB Classic #5 54 sec burn left to right

Here is a comparison of the first image above and a Oriental Seagull lith print from the previous blog post. The contrast improvement in the lith print is apparent.

Oriental Seagull lith (top) vs Conventional Ilford FB Classic print.


Comments