Mamiya 645 Pro Mirror Stop Fix

On YouTube recently Nick Carver posted an excellent video about how to fix an endemic problem on the Mamiya 645 Pro/TL cameras. I had come across this a few months ago on Reddit and at the time had a quick look at my 645 Pro and it looked fine. The stop was there and I have not had any issues with focusing so I filed it away in the back of my mind. Until I came across Nick’s video. The video is really well made and takes you through the issue and the fix. 

The issue is a small plastic piece that the mirror falls against when it returns to position. This piece breaks with use and often this results in misfocussing. Fortunately some clever soul had this problem and made a design for 3D printing and posted the result on Thingiverse a repository for 3D printable designs. Here...

I downloaded the design and sent it to a local 3D printing company. I had to order a lot as they have a minimum order. I am offering them for sale on eBay in the UK for the cost of the part and postage as a service to the community. (Search "Mamiya 645 Pro/Pro TL Mirror Stop") 

I also made the repair on my camera. The part works great. I did have to ream the large hole that fits over the post with a small screw driver. There is some texture from the 3D printing process that needs to be cleaned up. It may also be required to scape this off the post to get the spring over it. 

In my case I had to fabricate a spring from a ball point pen spring as it looks like the prior owner had removed it after failing to fix the problem. I then followed Nick's instructions on setting the focus and I am back in business. 

Comments

zzz said…
hey mate,

do you still have any mirror stops for sale?
MorseBlog said…
Check ebay….
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154804899338?mkevt=1&mkcid=16&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
zzz said…
Hey bro, do you have an email address?
Happy to just buy the mirror stop off you here through paypal since ebay is being a bit fussy.

How much would it be to buy 4 pieces? thinking of grabbing a couple of spares since shipping is so expensive.
Ruben Evans said…
My spring for the mirror stop has recently broken and I was just wondering how you manage to fabricate you own
MorseBlog said…
I used a ballpoint pen spring as a starting point and used some small needle nose pliers to bend it. You can also google how to make springs using piano wire which you can get on ebay.