Printing Monk's Wood: Monk's Path

Introduction

Yet another print from my April collection of images from Monk's wood. This one I call Monk's path as it has one of the many paths there in the frame below an old gnarled oak tree. The tree and the leading line of fence posts is what caught my eye. The day was early spring and without tree cover or clouds the shadows were quite harsh and resented a small challenge to print.
Blog Post Cover Image
This print like the ones I have execute recently are on Ilford MG ART 300 cotton rag paper. 

Monk's Path

I started with soft filter test strip at f16
f16 #00 Filter Test Strip
This leads me to think 11 seconds gives the right notion of tone I want. Next I decided to merge my first soft filter full print with the hard filter test print. I am aiming to complete this print in the 4 sheets I have left from this box of paper hence combining some steps. 
Hard Filter Test Strip f16 #00 11 seconds# 5 test
From this I think my soft filter choice is too light. The bottom 2 inches of the print are soft filter only. I am also aware the bottom is going to need some burn as well. I think 45 seconds is best for the hard filter to retain detail in the shadows. 
First full print: f16 #00 16 seconds #5 45 seconds
Here my challenge is the deep black shadows in the tree trunk. I decide to dodge each at 1/2 stop each (22 seconds) I also see the need to burn the lower section so devise the rest of the burn plan to include 3/4 stop 12 seconds on the soft filter for a lower portion of the image. 
Burn/Dodge Plan


Final Print: f16 #00 16 seconds #5 45 seconds dodge and burn according to the plan above


 

Comments