Return to Astia: Results

Last year I posted about a batch of Astia film I had found that was for sale from frozen stock. I took a chance and bought 100 sheets of Fujifilm Astia 4x5 film. Imagine my disappointment when I ran one test sheet and it looked like the following...

Test of expired frozen Astia 100F (from box 1) 150 mm lens

To my eye this looked like expired film. More likely than a light leak and the photolab I use has never failed me before in processing.(Update from original post: The above image is the result of light leaks. I finally diagnosed the problem as presented here.)

I had spent enough money that I contemplated several options including selling the remaining film as expired for lomography fans as this is not my 'thing'. I had at the same time acquired 40 sheets of Fuji Velvia 50 from frozen stock so I decided that I would test the Velvia and give the Astia another try and also open the second box of Astia to see if there was a difference there.

I ran out to Fen Drayton a local spot to make some simple test shots. I made 2 each from each box of Astia and 2 from the Velvia 50. I did this before Christmas and this combined with some business travel meant I had to wait until mid-January to see the results. I was extremely pleased to see that the test picture above was not replicated at all. Indeed I was extremely pleased to see the film seems to have no color shifts.

The scans below are pretty rough. I was not meticulous in the dust removal which is evident. Also my film holders I used are new to me as I had purchased from the same seller as the Astia. He had unfortunately put double sticky-back tape on the film holders I guess to keep the film tightly in place. The result is s sticky mess on the back of the film and some real trouble cleaning them up. I can't complain too much though as I got a great price of $7.5 each.  The day itself was very windy so I am sure the images are not very sharp as a result.

Here are the results. I have done minimal processing just cropping them and using Colorperfect to match the transparency as close as possible before saving. For the Astia this shows the neutral palette

Astia 100F (from box 1) 210 mm lens

Astia 100F (from box 2) 210 mm lens

Astia 100F (from box 1) 150 mm lens

Astia 100F (from box 2) 150 mm lens

Next are the Velvia. The second I under-exposed one stop as I did not reset the meter from the Astia which is 100 ASA versus the Velvia at 50 ASA.

Velvia 50 150 mm lens

Velvia 50 (over-exposed 1 stop) 150 mm lens
The light was changing as I finished shooting and on the drive home the evening sky got quite dramatic which I think accounts for the differences between the two Velvia photos. Under-exposure may account for some of the difference as well however.

I am very chuffed to see the results and now have a good store of large format. I also got a box of Ektacrhome 100VS (10 sheets) and some Porta 160NC (10 sheets) both of which are no longer available and I can have some confidence shooting them have come from the same seller.

Comments