Monk’s Wood: woodland photography

This past weekend I had a chance to get out to do some more exploring for my woodland photography. Saturday morning was out as I was recovering from a late Friday night dinner party with the neighbors so Sunday it had to be. In some ways this was unfortunate as Saturday morning dawned with a freezing fog and heavy frost which could have been very nice for photographs.

I managed to rise before sunrise and had breakfast before driving the half hour or so to Monk’s Wood.

The sky was mostly clear and quite cold, at or near freezing. There was a bank of cloud to the south and so this helped delay the sunrise. My first stop was on the edge of a hill overlooking the fens below. A previous morning and this was a nice scene. Alas this morning it was too clear and much of the atmosphere I had seen before just wasn’t present. So I headed to Monk’s Wood. My plan for the morning was to make a short stop to see if a tree canopy was still present. A few weeks previously I had been on walk with my wife and noticed this canopy of yellow leaves crying out for color. I only had black and white film at the time.
Canopy as it was, now gone. Rolleiflex Ilford FP4+
I parked at a different entrance to the wood and proceeded to walk to the area I was interested in. It was a quiet calm morning with birds emerging in anticipation of the sunrise from behind the clouds. The paths were very slippery with mud as I almost skated along sections. I had dressed warmly as so much of large format photography is standing around so keeping comfortable is key. I end up being too warm for much strenuous walking but that suits this situation.

I finally came to the place I was interested in and confirmed that indeed the leaves had all dropped. It was difficult to say for sure it was the same place. Oh well I will remember it for next year.

Along the way I was keeping my eye out and trying to gain a feel for the place. I have only been here perhaps 3 times before. It is interesting terrain as the wood runs from the top of a gentle ridge downslope and into a flat section. The woodland appears dense with small trees and brush. I could see into this and perceived there was not the uniformity that is apparent on first observations. An isolated area of small birch trees just off the trail. The hazelnut holding onto golden leaves. Patches of larger oaks. I wanted to get off the beaten path to find these secret areas, hoping they might reveal something of simple visual interest.

I headed back towards the small birch tree patch. Lots of vines made the going slow and I meandered through the wood inspecting different views, all of it beautiful not all photograph-able. I am looking for something more simple and isolated. I come upon a rotting oak log laid out covered with bright green moss and sprouting orange fungus. I decided this was my first subject.

I setup tripod, mounted camera, decided on 210mm (my longest) lens, composed and decided on Velvia 50 film. The sun was not above the cloud bank so the scene was still quite dark. I was shooting  into the sun however so I need to move quickly as well as carefully. I didn’t want a bright shaft of sun to increase the contrast too much on this slide film. Velvia doesn’t like too much range between dark and light.

It metered in recollection  to an Ev around 5 or 6. This gave 1 ‘20” which after reciprocity gave 3’ 28”. Fortunately there was no wind and more importantly there was nothing to move being the subject was mostly a log. It is a very tense time these very long exposures. Hoping nothing moves and then being diligent enough to to make sure you close the shutter at the right time rather than being bored and distracted from the task. The transparency was slightly over exposed but I could recover it in the scan.

Fungus on Log (Velvia 50)

Already the morning was turning out pleasant. Cold and so far no people. There is the sound of the highway and passing trains which seems to be a feature of most walks in the UK. One is never far from roads and the sound of cars. Still there is the smell  and peace of the woodlands.

When I am alone and conditions are like this the slow pace of this photography becomes meditative. A simple ritual, appreciation and recognition of beauty, the natural surroundings all contribute to peace of mind in these right circumstances. As long as I am not hurried or hassled it is very nice. In the past I have at times felt hurried or worse that I become too obsessed with mistakes. Now experience has allowed me to hold to simple thoughtful rituals.

There is good application of mindfulness here, that much trending subject. Aware of and mindful of the surroundings, the ritual. Setting up, tearing down, focus (literal and figurative), composition exposure, patience.

And so my plans to finish up at Holme Fen are postponed. I shall explore here and finally move off the trails and see that the woodland is hiding.

A side trail and there in the middle of the paths are bright red mushrooms. Unexpected and garish with the leaves nearby they invite a close composition. Almost overlooked. I use the 210mm lens again to tightly crop this patch. Carefully I try and focus. Focus on the Intrepid is the really new thing. Movements, tilt, hovering over the ground glass, take in the whole composition, then down into the detail with the loupe. What is out of focus, what is the distortion of the ground glass? Check the edges and corners. Adjust and readjust, remember this is part of the process and will take as long as it needs to.

Meter the scene, again very simple, not much range of brightness yellow leaves vs dark leaves maybe 2-3 stops difference. Reset the lens, stop down, set the shutter, pull the dark slide, release, wait, close shutter, replace dark slide, pull film holder, mark as exposed. The first with Velvia 50 I decide on another with some Portra 400; the scene is nice I don’t want to lose it. So much promise and only time will tell. Each film has its own characteristics, its own palette of color. I prefer the Velvia and despite being saturated is closer in color matching. The characteristic coolness of the film  is apparent in the blueish sheen of the wet leaves.

Mushrooms (Velvia 50)

Mushrooms (Porta 400 expired)

Some more walking through the woods, a little rise and larger oaks cluster here. Not much to photograph but much to see. Further on, just off a path some delicate small yellow leaves. Can I catch these and not have a mess with all the branches and trees in the background. Another color shot, long exposure, grateful for very few breaths of wind. Hope there is no movement. A black and white as well metered to brighten the leaves. This fails as I learn that afternoon after development and scanning. The leaves moved, a breath of wind is the enemy of the large format photographer with long exposures. So little wind that morning and yet there would be small puffs as the sun rose. I can only hope the color came out better. Still I am unsure if the lightness of the leaves is not lost to the jumble and tangle of branches and twigs.

Failed photo with leaf motion
The color I had better luck with but the subject is lost in the complexity of the background. It just doesn't work.



Some walkers come by with about 8 dogs. Happy, noisy, jolly greetings as they move down the trail and leave me to my isolation again. Off the trail again a moss covered oak snakes across a clearing. I setup  and grab my 90mm lens for its first use. Purchased in Japan this last summer on a business trip. It covers the subject well I think. I get this one in black and white. Pack up and move on.

Snaking Oak
Across the trail a small grouping of oaks. These will be my final subject. The sun is up over the clouds for this and my last shot. I compose focus and meter then wait for the shafts of sunlight to give the scene a bit more early morning drama. I take one in landscape then another in portrait orientation. I am thinking portrait works better with the vertical trunks. These last two in black and white Ilford FP4+.

Oaks in Landscape (150mm)

Oaks in Portrait (150mm)
I remove the cable release, then then lens, putting on the lens caps and putting it carefully in its holder. Fold up the camera, unmounted it from the tripod and put it in my pack, place the dark cloth and lens on top. Fold up the tripod, heft the pack to my back and make my way out. The sun streams across the field now as I head back to the car. It has been a nice morning and I have some hope of some good images. About 2 hours to make 8 images, it seemed longer and slower than that. I make the leisurely drive through Woodwalton and Great Raveley; the sleepy Sunday morning comes on.

Comments