Holme Fen: II (Updated)

Another quick trip to explore Holme Fen as part of my Woodlands project. Holme Fen as I have written before is a preserved area of the Fens here in East Anglia. It is predominantly Birch forest.

Today I went to a different area  than last time. This area had a number large oak trees and so had a considerably different feel. I got off the trail and found my first subject. This was a fallen tree and some moss with a really nice sword fern. I only brought one roll of color film an old roll of Portra 800 120 film. I wanted to capture this is color so I loaded this up in my SINAR Zoom 6x12 film  holder.  Now I am still new to the Zoom but I am getting along with it. I wrote about it here including an update on some modifications I made to my Intrepid to make if fit better. I can confirm these modifications help a lot. I also find it is pretty easy to load it with film in the field. About the same difficulty as my Fuji G617.

The day dawned very cloudy; so much so that I got up an hour later than planned! There was a light mist in the air and the sun stayed behind clouds to keep the light diffuse.

The color photos I will post here when they return from the lab (see below). Here are a couple of black and white versions I took on Ilford FP4+ 4x5 film. I took two different angles on the subject. I like the second angle better. The first negative I scratched the emulsion during development however. I fixed it in Photoshop but of course it will be of no use in the darkroom.

Full 4x5 Image (90mm)

What drew me to this is the dead tree reaching our to the left and then the gnarled slender tree in the upper left. I experimented with a couple of alternate crops below.
Crop with Less Foreground

Tighter crop to emphasize the twisty tree.
I think this teaches me I should have used a tighter lens. The more I look at the image the more I like it and now I have resolved to return soon to re-shoot it and fix that torn emulsion.

The next image should be better. It is much clearer what I am shooting (less visual complexity). I took this with my 150 mm lens. I hemmed and hawed a lot on which lens and how much of the tree to capture. In the end I needed the fern to seem more in proportion overall so opted for this.

I also used my 2-stop Grad ND filter to bring down the light from the sky. I learned from shooting woodland last time the bright sky is more of factor than I had imagined. This diffuse light through he cloudy sky seems to give more light on the upper portion of the trees where they are not shaded as much.

I also find that  metering the sky through the dense branches shows a lower Ev than if you can find a blank patch of sky. For instance the scene here metered at Ev 7 for the darker portions and through the trees the sky metered to Ev12. However a larger patch of sky revealed Ev14. The Graduated ND filter allowed me to place Ev 7 at zone IV or III and keep the sky at XI or VIII. Overall the exposure is more consistent top to bottom. (Both photos were shot at F32 2/3 at 4 and 8 seconds plus reciprocity.)
Fern and Tree (150mm)

Updated: Color Photos

The color photos were a little disappointing. I only had the Portra 800 with me and the roll is quite old and been in and out of the freezer a lot. I am still analyzing the results but in addition to one under-exposure I seem to have some kind of light leak when using the SINAR Zoom. In any case here is what I could salvage.

Kodak Portra 800 6x12


Kodak Portra 800 6x12



Comments