Sandpoint Moose

Sandpoint is a small town that sits on the shores of Lake Pend d’Oreille in the panhandle of northern Idaho. The town itself hosts some surprising wildlife. In the tall ponderosa pines in the park, across the street from where I live, between the baseball diamond and swing sets nest some Peregrine falcons. Osprey are seen and heard often; one day I watched 5 circle overhead with their soft cries as they communicated high up in the blue sky. Another pair of osprey nest on top of a microwave dish on the telephone exchange in the downtown area. Bald eagles frequently fly overhead in straight lines as they commute from one location to another. 

This morning I walked down to the middle of town to have a mooch around the farmer’s market and the art show that is taking place this weekend. I had a nice walk and met a really good photographer who I may write about later. On my home walking the residential streets I turned a corner and didn’t believe my eyes; for lying in someone’s back yard (garden) was what looked like a moose reclining facing away from me. I stopped transfixed watching silently to see if it moved, and finally an ear twitched. I slowly pulled my camera out of the bag and began to focus just as it turned its head an got this photo. I watched for perhaps a minute but left the moose to its peaceful rest; it seemed aware of but unconcerned about my presence. I didn’t want to attract attention to the moose. No sense in being part of him being mobbed.


Moose


Later that morning as I was heading out to visit my father I decided to drive my the moose location to see if he was still there. He was and there was a woman there taking photos of the moose. We had a nice conversation. She lives across the street and said this was not by any means rare though she had not seen one in the last couple years. As we talked the moose stood up and this made the woman a little nervous knowing they can be unpredictable. He looked thin and lanky and I think must be quite young. I said goodbye and drove off. 

Comments